I am on solo this Sunday because my family's out of town. I had just completed a two-day AYSO soccer coaches clinic up in Moraga and on my way back, I visited this church where I had a few of old friends. About 25 minute drive brought me to this location right off Interstate 580 in San Leandro.Although not spiritual, I've had two very positive experiences by attending the service here today. One was that when I arrived there about 3 minutes before the worship time, I was just able to walk through the entrance by saying "Hi" to a couple of the greeters, received the bulletin and went into the sanctuary. What's the big deal about this? Well, in my season of mid-40's, I took this as "I must've looked 'hip' enough to fit right into the 20 & 30 something community at WCCC." Ok, so don't anyone burst my bubbles on this point. The other good thing was that I found out about 20 guys come out to play soccer on Tuesday evenings in Pleasanton (which by the way is about 40 some miles from where I live). Since my family's away, I was set to join them on Tuesday evening. That got me excited alright; and especially having just finished the soccer coaches clinic, I was definitely in the soccer mood. Needless to say, I joined them on Tuesday in a semi-heat wave and I had great time playing although suffered some pain the next few days.....
Now I got that out of the way, let me get to the core part.
As I was scoping out a place to sit down, the praise team was finishing up their final tuning up and I recognized from seeing his picture on the website that the praise leader was the pastor of this church. Wow, I have not seen that in some time now so that was quite refreshing. The message was on "Then Who Can Be Saved" based on Mark 10:17-31 challenging the congregation to watch out for outward holiness without inward transformation and not to fall into the trap of "doing" vs. "inheriting" the blessings from God as the young man in the story. As written in Ephesians 2:8-9, we must just praise what was given to us as a gift. Challenge question was: Do I identify with this young man?
Before the message was given, the pastor led the congregation to gather in small groups to pray for each other. I got together with my frined's family and pray ed together before getting back to the large group for continuation of worship service.Before the message was given, the pastor led the congregation to gather in small groups to pray for each other. I got together with my frined's family and pray ed toI cannot say much about the children ministry since my kids were not with me, but I can tell you that there are lots of children in this church between the age of 3-6 (my guesstimation). When I stepped out of the men's room, I heard a herd of kids yelling and running toward me from the other end of the hallway. Caught me by surprise but it was a great scene to witness because all those children are plugged into a well-grounded church with parents all enthusiastic to form and build a church reaching out to the families in that region of the Bay Area.gether before getting back to the large group for continuation of worship service.
During the fellowship time, some light refreshments were shared while people mingled. Those many kids I had already encountered were definitely taking part in that fellowship hall designed to echo their excited voices. It did make "adult conversations" a little difficult to carry out at a normal voice level, but that really seemed like the strength of this ministry -- the growing children (& parents also I suppose :-).

Website: www.wccc.net
Worship Times: 1:30pm
No comments:
Post a Comment