Sunday, August 06, 2006

Great Exchange Covenant Church (GrX)


I'm doing another solo Sunday today at this church in Santa Clara. At the moment, GrX is nomadic in their venue while they are waiting on God for a permanent location. Today's worship place was at the Santa Clara Convention Center. In fact, it was in one of the large auditorium where I used to attend for having company-wide meetings in my previous employment. So that made me a bit comfortable finding my way to the location as well as the auditorium. As I was pulling into the parking structure, I noticed two young men standing on the center divider waving their hands to welcome arriving congregation. There was another welcoming wavers at the parking structure's entrance, and then at the second level as well. They not only made me to feel welcomed, but they also made me assured that I was going the right direction (as a first comer).

As I did not have to worry about locating where the children ministry classroom were, I went directly into the main sanctuary. The auditorium for about 500-600 seats were scarcely filled when I arrived there a few minutes early for the first worship service. I understand that more people come for the second service, especially the young singles who are not awaken by the young children before they have to. The range of adult attendance for last 6 months or so (from the stats reported in their newsletter) was 550-620 for the Sunnyvale (or Santa Clara today) location, and about 120 for the San Francisco location. And in September of this year, GrX Fremont will begin to meet for worship service. As the lights were dimmed the praise band led us into some songs from the stage which was set up nicely with some props and differently lighted hues.

Announcements and updates on building project were given before the offering time and then the message on Gathered to Scatter were given by one of the associate pastor which was a continued parts from the series on the book of Genesis. Today's passage is based on the Tower of Babel where when the people began to gather around to build a tower which will put them equal with God. What was the sin of these people? It was because they settled there in Shinar (Valley). God commanded them to multiply and fill the earth, but they disobeyed. So, God scattered them by sending different languages among them and thus this was the birth of nations. Silicon Valley has some similarities with Shinar.
  1. Desire to make a name for ourselves (v. 4) -- association with sources of our own efforts.
  2. Make bricks for stones and tar for mortar (v. 3) -- this process took about a year. Aren't we making our own "bricks" slowly for years also? Question is: with it, will we begin to build our own towers or scatter with them to build something for God?
The church should gather people with the intent to scatter to enhance God's ministry.

After the service, people gathered around the bagel & coffee table and mingled around to greet one another and mothers to feed their young ones, etc. before some of them continued on to share lunch at various restaurants.


Website: www.grx.org
Worship Times: 9:15am & 11:00am

No comments: